Reclaim your identity as a singer
"I used to sing, until I started transitioning, but now I don't sing at all."
This is a phrase that we hear often from our clients. Many who choose to transition, especially those who decide to begin an androgen therapy regimen, are faced with the decision whether or not to maintain their identity as a singer. For singers, making music with our voices is an integral part of who we are, and Sing ouT's goal is to help trans and GNC singers reclaim this aspect of personal identity through education.
Sing ouT is a 6-week singing group class, focused on the specific vocal needs of the transgender and gender nonconforming communities. Participants will share music with a group of their peers and receive guidance from The Voice Lab voice teachers. By the end of the course, singers will gain more confidence and insight into the abilities of their voices, and have an opportunity to sing in an optional performance that concludes the program.
"Not only did I save my voice, I’m now singing with a wider range than ever before, and I'm confident and happy with how I sound." ---Asher Brown, singer/songwriter
Why is Sing ouT being offered?
- We hope to help you gain more confidence and skill in your singing voice!
- Your participation helps us gain information which we can utilize to develop better voice education programs with the needs of the TGNC communities in mind.
- As a participant in the program, you'll have an opportunity to compare your "before" and "after" recordings and journal entries as you go through the program.
Who can sign up for Sing ouT?
- self-identify as transgender or gender nonconforming/nonbinary
- are interested in learning more about singing
Where and when are classes?
- Sing ouT's summer session is just wrapping up, and we have had a blast! Great music, wonderful and brave singers, and a lot of fun discovering new things our voices can do!
- The next Sing ouT session will begin in fall 2016. You can sign up for Sing ouT or send us a contact form inquiry to find out when the next session will begin.
How much does it cost?
- Suggested donation for the entire program is $100, which helps us pay our teachers and assistants for their time and expertise.
- No one will be turned away due to inability to pay. The Voice Lab is a proud affiliate of ResonaTe Trans Voice Center and can arrange for scholarships if necessary.